Jeeves : mobile experience
The multiple iterations of Jeeves mobile
As Jeeves was growing and our product offerings were expanding, we needed to update our current mobile solution to align with our customer’s goals. We were in a position where we were being compared to some very robust solutions, and some very elegant and functional mobile apps. While our executive team firmly believes business happens on the desktop, I challenged that assumption by pushing for a mobile first solution. Here is a tale of ambition, intrigue, collaboration, and compromise. Let’s take a look at how it all began.
The initial Jeeves mobile experience was very utilitarian port of the desktop experience. At first glance any one would assume it was a hybrid application, but to my surprise and I’m sure yours too, this was a native application.
The day I started, the first thing I did was a heuristic analysis of the mobile and desktop applications. Apart from basic issues like a lack of typographical hierarchy, failing every A11Y test, and basic page level inconsistencies, it was barely usable. Before I landed at Jeeves they had no concept of personas, and thereby no concept who they were building for.
The second thing I did was create a set of personas for our core users based on a month long series of customer interviews. Once these personas were created it became clear that we needed 3 distinct applications, or at least a single app that adapted to these new roles.